IUI may help couples who are diagnosed with:
- Unexplained infertility
- Moderate low sperm count and moderate low number of motile sperm
- Hostile cervical conditions (including cervical mucus problems)
- Cervical scar tissue from past procedure which may hinder the sperms’ ability to enter the uterus
- Erectile dysfunction
IUI is a less invasive and less expensive option.
If you think you may be interested in IUI, speak to your doctor to discuss your options.
PROCESS OF IUI
- The IUI procedure starts by monitoring the woman’s cycle to determine the day of ovulation
- Once the follicle is mature, ovulation either occurs naturally or is triggered by an injection of a stimulation drug.
- Husband submits semen sample which is washed in the lab to isolate and contrite good motile sperm.
- Finally, the processed sperm is injected directly into the uterine cavity using a catheter closer to the time of ovulation, generally within 24 hours of ovulation.
IUI SUCCESS RATE
The success rate after IUI varies from 15% to 20% depending on various factors such as the age of a woman, cause, and duration of infertility, etc.
WHAT IF IUI HAS FAILED?
Since IUI is a much simpler and less invasive procedure than an IVF cycle, it can be a good first option for fertility treatment with a reasonable success rate. However, if you have had three or more unsuccessful attempts with IUI, or if you are aged 35 or over, you are more likely to have a greater chance of success with IVF.
RISKS FROM IUI
Although IUI is a simpler procedure, there are some risks involved in it. A low risk of infection may occur after IUI. The risk of multiple pregnancies is also there when 3-4eggs develop when hormones are used in SO-IUI. You may be counseled to undergo IVF if more eggs develop due to SO-IUI.
COST OF IUI
As the cost may vary depending on whether hormones are used or not, you may contact our center for charges involved.
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR IUI?
- Woman with disease of the Fallopian tube
- Woman with pelvic diseases
- Woman with endometriosis
- Male partner with severe low count and motile sperm